This is Coffee with Larry for Monday, July 10, 2023.
Coffee with Larry is the daily podcast for RunBlogRun where we update our readers on the happenings around the world of track & field.
1. Day 4 was a superb day of track & field.
2. The 800-meter races were fantastic.
3. Nia Atkins won the women’s race, with Raevyn Rogers in second and Kaela Edwards taking third. Ajee’ Wilson, two-time bronze WC medalist, and WC Indoor gold medalist, finishes last.
4. In the men’s 800m, Bryce Hoppel wins the race, with Isaiah Harris taking second and the 2016 Olympic bronze medalist taking third, Clayton Murphy.
5. Olympic and WC gold Katie Moon won the women’s pole vault with Sandi Moore and Hanna Mol. Katie clears 4.91m, WL, and makes 3 attempts at 5.01m.
6. Men’s 400m hurdles-Rai Benjamin wins in 46.62, with CJ Allen in 2nd and Trevor Bassitt taking third.
7. In the battle with Dalilah Muhammed, Shamier Little takes their first US title since 2018 with Anna Cockrell.
8. Men’s High jump won by JuVaughn Harrison after making LJ.
9. Women’s discus throw won by Valerie Allman.
10. In a brutal 5,000m, Abdi Nur ran 2:21 for the last 1000mm to take the kick out of the field, winning in 13;24.37. Paul Chelimo was silver in 13:24.90 and Sean McGorty, like 10,000m, in third in 13:25.98. Joe Klecker, already on the 10,000m team, has standard, so will probably be doubling.
11. Elise Cranny takes gold, Alicia Monson takes silver, and Natosha Rogers takes bronze in 5,000m, just like 10,000m.
12. In Women’s 200m, Gabby Thomas shows her incredible strength, having run 100m/400m in meets during the season. Gabby goes 21.60 PB/MR/WL. Sha’Carri Richardson takes silver in PB 21.94. Kayla White took third in 22.01 PB, with Abby Steiner in 4th in SB 22.07.
13. Erriyon Knighton wins in 19.72, Kenny Bednarek, 19.82 SB, and Courtney Lindsey, 1985 PB.
14. Daniel Roberts wins 110m hurdles in 13.05, Cordell Tinch in 13.08, Freddie Crittenden in 13.23, Eric Edwards in 13.26, and Trey Cunningham in 13.29.
See you tomorrow on #CoffeeWithLarry.